Friday, April 13, 2012

Anyone Caviar for a Fish Egg Manicure? It's Fish Egg Friday!!!

What's this, another post? Two in one day? ....... (excuse the awful title, it was that or Fish Fingers.)

In Britain it's traditional to eat fish 'n' chips on a Friday but we're (vaguely) healthy in this household and rarely have takeaways. So instead to synchronise with some other nail bloggers around the globe I'm doing what's known as a 'fish egg' manicure! Basically lots of microbeads stuck onto the nail.

I originally bought these microbeads whilst on a hunt for gold bullion to try and copy the nails that Sammy from The Nailasaurus blog did for her now legendary Michael Kors inspired manicure.

For the base to stick the beads to I used ELF Punk Purple, it was the closest colour I had to them. The beads cost me a grand total of about £0.85 if my memory serves me well (from the local art/craft shop) and the E.L.F polish cost me £0.90 on sale. Basically £1.75 for the manicure, but I could probably get 2 or 3 more manicures from the beads so lets say £0.58. Cheap as Chips! (I'm on a roll..)




To be honest the finished effect especially in this colour reminds me more of those pink Bassets sweets you can get: look! rather than fish eggs.
 
The glass microbeads looked varying different shades depending in which light or angle they were viewed and under artificial bright spotlight almost looked lit from within but this was hard to capture in photos. 

Below in sunlight:




(Or maybe raspberries?)




 Below is a photo using flash:




As to be expected from me I wanted to pick at them by the time I'd done the second nail, however once all nails done I sort of liked it, and by that I mean I liked it better that the rhinestone manicure I did for the B&W challenge! This is the most impractical type of manicure and should only be recommended for those privileged enough for a butler because I guarantee any task undertaken results in the bloody things fallling off everywhere.


Here is the link to the very first Caviar Manicure originating from nail expert Patti Yankee and her team at Dashing Divas for a fashion show last year.


Some of the other ladies involved in Fish Egg Friday include:


Sammy from The Nailasaurus

Salla  from  OMG! Polish 'Em!

Stephanie from Sincerely Stephanie

Jeanette from The Swatchaholic

Emily from  The Lacquerologist


Anna from  Pretty Digits

Susan from  The Subtle Shimmer


Ivana from  Ivana Thinks Pink

A Lacquered Affair from   A Lacquered Affair

Cristina (who as part of the B&W challenge has done a fish egg manicure!) from Let Them Have Polish

Tiffany from 2thelastdrop 



Thankyou for looking people! xxx


46 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thankyou Naila, I really love this colour!

      Delete
  2. great mani! love the glass beads. mine are metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Danielle, did the polish react with the metal or was it ok?

      Delete
  3. £1.75 you say? for a 'fish-egg' manicure! Splendid dharling absolutely fab! Now I can save myself £16+ i'd have spent for an UN-ORIGINAL product. Your's looks way better anyway! pfft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!!! Thankyou Dulcie, yes very cheap indeed, no need to spend out now!

      Delete
  4. They're pretty :) Mine still haven't arrived, at the time I had no Uk seller and ordered mine from hong kong :P Oppsy.

    Lucy
    http://lucyywrites01.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Lucy, do you have a local craft shop near you to get them from? Or try Ebay? x

      Delete
  5. I love this style! So impractical but so worth it :P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sunny, it is very impractical. But cute, I like it looked like raspberries my favourite fruit in this colour!

      Delete
  6. I love this Esther and I can't wait to have a go next Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jo, can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  7. Love this! They really do look like little raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thankyou Minnie, I'd quite like to try in a darker colour now, will have to hunt for some beads!

      Delete
  9. Woah! That colour is stunning and you definitely win in the cheapskates... uuuh I mean stakes!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sammy, I'm definitely a cheapskate if there's a cheaper option but works just as well, why pay more? ;-)

      Delete
  10. This colour is amazing, looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Vanidad, I do like a pink in the warmer months!

      Delete
  11. Muiltichrome eggs! Love the raspberry angle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Susan, mutlichrome eggs would be amazing, I really wished I could have captured the glow they had under some lihgt as they looked really cool!

      Delete
  12. This is so funky. It looks very jelly like :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou LaaLaa, they do definitely look like jelly, I think because they are glas so the liht shines through well. :-) I hope you try so we can see on your blog! <3

      Delete
  13. Wow! You make everything look so elegant... even this bright caviar manicure!
    I don't have a butler... in fact, sometimes I feel LIKE the butler to my three little ones so I haven't ventured to try this look yet... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marta, I know EXACTLY how you feel, unfortunately having kids means we'll be butler for many more years to come!!! I took off pretty much straight away.

      Delete
  14. Last picture is just gorgeous, you really picked amazing colors together. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Ivana, I really liked the colours of this!

      Delete
  15. Nice! I really like this for special occasions, the little glass beads look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Pearl, I might try again to see actually how long I can keep on without wanting to pick them off!

      Delete
  16. nice:) look interesting!

    www.mysweetstrawberries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once I saw this manicure, I immediately thought of those kind of sweets! Bassetts sweets look COOL.

    I'd love to get a purely clear fishy balls mani (clear polish+clear beads) but I'm afraid it would look like nail disease. :P

    (oh and I love your ring! It's so feminine/masculine, my favorite style!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnakyou! Husband and I spent ages loooking for matching wedding rings that were suitable for both of us but not the traditional type.

      Delete
  18. So pretty! I like the fact that they look jelly beads. Yummy! and it does look like raspberries too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I think they are jelly like because they are glass, and i really like the effect, and yummy raspberries, my favourite!

      Delete
  19. I really like your pink take on the fish egg mani. Your descriptions were really funny! I kept picturing you trying to do stuff around the house with the fish eggs on. I need to look for some beads myself to try this out, as I've been to lazy to order them online. We don't really have craft stores here but maybe the nail supply shop has them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mihaela, they were a pain, I left on for half an hour or so after whilst making a cup of tea and getting the girls a snack and they were everywhere!

      Delete
  20. Oh I adore the liquorice allsort comparison... how do you actually remove them or do they just peel off easily (the ones that didn't drop off!)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Nic, I might have to get me some Allsorts now, I removed them not long after taking photos, just with my standard polish remover, no worse than a glitter polish, in fact easier I'd say, but they weren't on for long!

      Delete